History of Tried Stone Missionary Baptist Church 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1928

Small group emerges from Hillstreet Baptist Church to form
Tried Stone Missionary Baptist Church.  Worshipped in basement of building on corner of Livingston and Congress Streets.
 1930
One room building constructed for worshippers on Southside Ave
at Gaston St.
 1942
16 member congregation calls Rev. Benjamin F. Brewer to pastor Tried Stone Missionary Baptist Church
1944
Worship location sold.  Congregation relocates to old Markham building on Southside Ave. near Beach Hill St.
Membership increases to 50
 1946
Markham building sold.  Congregation moves to building on Knoxville Place. Congregation merged with Brooklyn Chapel at Knoxville Place site.
 1940’s
Sister Rosa Brewer and Sister Mary L. Sanders organize the Senior Choir
1952
Rev. Brewer purchases a lot on Sorrells St. and the church family constructs a small one room cinder block building for worship.
1960’s
Continued growth saw a need for a larger building.
Young Adult Choir is formed led by Brother J. Cornell Proctor
The Music Ministry is started to attract young people
Congregation continues to grow and there is much need for a larger building.
1980’s 
Housing Authority of the City of Asheville acquires building to make improvements in East End -Valley Street Redevelopement Project area
Congregation of Tried Stone moves to auditorium of the Allen Center.
Several area churches give aid through use of facilities:  Nazareth 1st Baptist, World Wide Baptist Tabernacle and United Methodist Church. 
1985
June 21, 1985  Rev. Brewer and congregation along with Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Assoc. broke ground on Carroll Avenue
June 24, 1985  General contractor D.V. Ward begins work under the watchful eyes of architect T. Edmond Whitman
1986 
February 16, 1986  Rev. Brewer leads Congregation in a procession down MLK Jr. Drive to new Church Home at 100 Carroll Ave.
1993 
October 1, 1993 Fire destroys Church entirely
October 3, 1993  Service is held in parking lot of the destroyed church building
Sheriff Charles Long of Buncombe County Sheriff’s Dept. offers their facility as long as needed
1994
March 5, 1994  Rev. Bejamin f. Brewer, beloved Pastor of Tried Stone for 52 years passes
1994-1997
Tried Stone is without a pastor
Service continues under Associate Ministers Rev. Otis Ware, Dr. Paul Miller, Dr. Clydell Johnson, Elder Alfred E. Blount and Rev. Daniel Harrison and the Board of Deacons.
1998
September 1998  Tried Stone again is without a home.  Buncombe County Sherrifs Dept. has a need for the building
October 1998  Rev. J. W. Brewster of Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church and members, through much prayer, leases their annex building to Tried Stone
1999
Elder Alfred E. Blount, one of Tried Stone’s own sons is welcomed as pastor
2002
March 9, 2002  Ground Breaking Ceremony held at 100 Carroll Ave for new church building
Architect Jerry Young and General Contractor Gerald Page handles project
2003
September 7, 2003   Procession led by Pastor Alfred E. Blount from temporary location to new Tried Stone building.